The Saffron Athletics Club annual presentation evening took place on Friday January 20th at the Ramada Hotel Wigston.
I just wanted to say what a fantastic night the Awards Evening was. The club has grown so much over the last few years and I think that the night was proof of that. It was a tremendous turn out and it was nice to see the athletes and parents mixing socially.
There were so many thank you’s but I couldn’t possibly have mentioned everyone on the night as it would’ve taken too long. But special thanks must go to all of the coaching staff, Mick, Mark, Steve and Kevin from the Middle Distance Squad and Mary, Alison, Liz, Leroy, Kerry and Claire from the track and field side. A special mention must also go to Dom for maintaining the website, (and taking the photos on the night) which is no mean feat, Lucy whom is still our only qualified field official and to Kerry for organising last night’s raffle – which raised the brilliant sum of £317.50 for the Club.
Well done to ALL of the athletes – not just those that won awards. As I mentioned on more than one occasion, the decisions were very difficult and that is a tremendous attribute to all of you athletes who continue to be dedicated and work hard to achieve their best.
Thank you to the army of parents who shepherd the athletes around and support them in so many ways. They really would not be able to do what they do without your help and support and our job would be so much harder!
I’m looking forward to 2017 where we will aim to raise the bar even higher by achieving even more and I will be fighting Mary again over who should get what award next year!! Have a great season!
- Lachlan Finch Male X/C Athlete of the year
- Elsie Robinson Female X/C Athlete of the year
- Amara Thakker Male T&F Athlete of the year
- Jordan Waine Female T&F Athlete of the year
- Josh Pegg X/C Most Improved Athlete
- Layla Omar-Davies T&F Most Improved Athlete
- Caitlin Roper X/C Coaches Athlete
- Sam Cotton T&F Coaches Athlete
- Heidi Norgrove Committees Athlete
- Elsie Robinson Athlete of the year
- U13’s Heart of England Winning Team